Here are some general guidelines regarding an interview. Typical duration = 30 – 45mn.
1/ Prepare !
- How was the expert detected ?
- If relevant, read (at least) abstract of the cited publication in the email sent to the expert
- Visit expert web site if available
- Prepare / refine the interview guide below depending on context
2/ Interview guide
- Introduce yourself, your company (a few words, just to capture interest)
- Context of the call
- How the expert was detected
- The Question in brief detail : summarize the key aspects (use the project Question)
2.2 Expert vs. Question
- Prompt Expert to introduce his team and work : starting year, team size, main activities in the domains related to the question – usually experts are keen to speak about their work ! -
- More specific questions about possible contributions (core aspect of the interview – make sure to get sufficient feeling about the relevance of the expert (group) :
- existence of off-the-shelf solution that would approach the Question requirements ?
- difficult points / aspects of the question ?
- clarification requirements about the question?
- TRL (explain) ?
2.3 Collaboration aspects
- Feasibility to produce a contribution: available resources, possible collaboration schemes
- Ongoing and past collaborations
- Intellectual Property policy, if relevant
2.4 Next steps – depending on interview results
Prepare potential next steps:
- IF seems promising / interesting contact
- IF does not look promising / interesting
3/ Follow up actions
Make sure to follow up on the next steps !
For additional guidance, please contact us !
Please sign in to leave a comment.